Saturday, December 31, 2016

The 2016 Book Awards!


LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!! Welcome to the annual 2016 Book awards ceremony where yours truly, Ronyell, will pick her favorite books of 2016 and give each of her favorite books an award! There are going to be three sections to this awards ceremony which includes an adult and young adult section, a graphic novels section and a picture book section! So just sit back, relax and enjoy the show! 

2016 Adult / Young Adult Novels Awards


BEST FANTASY NOVEL:


 




* Seraphina by Rachel Hartman:  After hearing so many good things about this book, I've decided to check it out and I was glad that I did since this turned out to be one of the most unique fantasy novels I had ever read and I can't wait to check out the second book in this series!


BEST CONTEMPORARY ROMANCE:








* The Storyteller by Antonia Michealis:
This book has been on my TBR list for a long time and when I finally got around to it, it was nothing like I ever expected from any romance novel!  Because of the surprising twist that happened in this book, this became my all time favorite romance novel of this year!


BEST SCIENCE FICTION NOVEL:




* Red Rising by Pierce Brown:
Another popular book that got lots of praise from fellow readers and one that I really enjoyed since it is like "The Hunger Games" in outer space and I can't wait to read more from this series!



FAVORITE HEROINE:
 

*Seraphina from Seraphina: Not only is she a good musician, but the fact that she's half dragon and uses her wits to get out of any trouble really made me connect with this character!


FAVORITE HERO:
 

* Darrow from Red Rising: Seriously, how could I not love a hero who is an awesome fighter and a strategist in a dangerous world and can take on anything thrown at him?


FAVORITE AUTHOR:
 

* Pierce Brown: This was a tough choice since I also wanted to choose Antonia Michaelis for this title, but Pierce Brown's story about a young miner worker trying to survive the dangerous world of Mars really blew me away and he become my favorite author of the year!



BEST QUOTE:






*Red Rising by Pierce Brown:

"I live for the dream that my children will be born free," she says. "That they will be what they like. That they will own the land their father gave them."

"I live for you," I say sadly.

Eo kisses my cheek. "Then you must live for more."
~ Darrow and Eo

This quote really sells Eo's dream and the very moment where Darrow goes from meek miner to a strong leader!


BEST COVER:






* Red Rising by Pierce Brown: Seriously , this was one awesome cover as it clearly shows the uprising that will take place in this book!

BEST NOVEL OF THE YEAR:





* Red Rising by Pierce Brown: Tough choice once again since I was torn between "Red Rising" and "The Storyteller," but "Red Rising" ultimately made my choice for best novel of the year since it's got action and drama that has rarely been seen in young adult books!



2016 Graphic Novels Awards

 

 

BEST WRITER:

 
*Brian K. Vaughan on Saga  and Paper Girls: Brian K. Vaughan keeps on hitting it out of the park with not only his hit series "Saga," but with his most recent series "Paper Girls!"  He is seriously one writer who knows how to balance character interactions and action all into one page!


BEST ARTIST:

 

* Sana Takeda on Monstress : Sana Takeda's artwork on "Monstress" was truly gorgeous to look at as the pages just glow every time I look at them and I would love to see more of her artwork in the near future!




BEST SUPERHERO GRAPHIC NOVEL:







*Ms. Marvel: No Normal Volume 1 by G. Willow Wilson : After hearing good things about this particular comic book, I've decided to give this series a whirl and now after reading this graphic nove, Kamala Khan has become of my most favorite Marvel heroines to date and I can't wait to read more adventures from her!



BEST NEWSPAPER COMIC BOOK:







*Lio: There's a Monster in my Socks by Mark Tatulli :  Since I mostly had read Garfield and Peanuts in terms of newspaper comics, I was surprised to finally read the "Lio" series and this has certainly become one of my most favorite newspaper comic book series!

BEST SINGLE ISSUES:




 

* Monstress: Awakening Volume 1 (Part 1) by Marjorie Liu : This was the first year that I had actually started reviewing single issues of comic books since I normally review their graphic novel counterparts.  However, Marjorie Liu's "Monstress" series was a great series to read in single issues and I can't wait to read more of this series!

BEST REBOOT SERIES:







* Archie Volume 1: The New Riverdale by Mark Waid: I will admit that when I heard that Archie was getting a reboot, I was a bit skeptical about whether or not this series would be worth buying and if it would even compete with the original comics.  However, I was absolutely blown away by this reboot series as the characters were still faithful to their original portrayals and I'm definitely going to buy more of this series soon!

BEST MANGA SERIES:
 




* Rin-Ne by Rumiko Takahashi: I'm a huge fan of anything that Rumiko Takahashi has done over the years and her "Rin-Ne" series hasn't failed to disappoint me and I can't wait  to read more from this series!

BEST HERO: 











*Frank and Joe Hardy from the "Hardy Boys" : Even though the Hardy Boys comics were okay, what made reading those books worth the read is reading about how Frank and Joe Hardy solve the case and their awesome dynamic with each other!

BEST HEROINE: 





* Kamala Khan from "Ms. Marvel" :Thank you!  This was the year that I was introduced to Kamala Khan in "Ms. Marvel" and I'm so glad to make her acquaintance since she has become one of my most favorite Marvel heroines ever created!



BEST NEWCOMING SERIES: 






* I Hate Fairyland: Madly Ever After Volume 1 by Skottie Young: I just seriously loved this comic book because it's an interesting and devious twist on what we come to expect from stories that involves fairy lands and this was seriously one of the greatest deconstructions of the genre I had ever seen!

BEST GRAPHIC NOVEL OF THE YEAR:
 









* Saga by Brian K. Vaughan: This series can never fail in entertaining me, even through the sixth volume! I feel like as long as this series keeps getting made, I will always rank this as number one!

 

2016 Picture Book Awards

 

FAVORITE WRITER:

*Jon Klassen: I was introduced to Jon Klassen's work this year and I have to say that I was quite impressed with the twists he puts in children's books as a whole and that's why he's my favorite author of the year!



FAVORITE ILLUSTRATOR:

*Patricia Polacco: Patricia Polacco has won this year again and she truly deserves this honor for her beautiful artwork in "The Art of Miss Chew!"


FUNNIEST PICTURE BOOK:







* I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen: 
This was a truly hilarious and awesome as it not only twisted my expectations for children's books, but it was quite hilarious for its rather funny (in a dark way) solution to the main problem!

MOST DRAMATIC PICTURE BOOK:





* The Art of Miss Chew by Patricia Polacco:  Another story that details Patricia Polacco's childhood, this one was probably one of the most inspirational books in Polacco's list of books as it shows us the very teacher who taught Patricia Polacco how to draw with her heart!


BEST FOLKTALE:





* Anansi and the Talking Melon by Eric A. Kimmel : This African folktale is seriously one of the most clever and hilarious folktales I had ever read as it is about Anansi tricking his friends into thinking that the melon can actually talk when it's really him giving the melon a voice and I just enjoyed the hilarious antics that Anansi and the other animals go through in this story!


BEST FAMILY PICTURE BOOK:




* D.W. the Picky Eater by Marc Brown: I am a huge fan of Marc Brown's "Arthur" series and getting introduced to the "D.W." spin off series was worth reading!  I also loved the fact that the them of this book is relatable to any family member who has to deal with a child who is a picky eater!


BEST MESSAGE:





* Rosie the Raven by Helga Bansch: The message in this book about the importance of true family no matter how different you are from your other family members, is portrayed extremely well and this is definitely one book I would go to to learn the true meaning of family!




BEST PICTURE BOOK OF THE YEAR:



* I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen:
Yep! This book won this honor just for being a deconstruction on what we expect to happen in children's books and it was creative while being entertaining about it at the same time!  Definitely one of the best picture books I've read in a long time!

No comments:

Post a Comment