Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Waiting on Wednesday #21: The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden




Hello everyone! "Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, that is hosted by Breaking the Spine and the purpose of this event is that we spotlight upcoming releases of books that we are excited for! 

This week's pre-publication "can't-wait-to-read" selection is:
 
 
 
 
 


Title:  The Bear and the Nightingale
Author: Katherine Arden
Expected Publication Date:  January 10th, 2017
 
 
 
 


A magical debut novel for readers of Naomi Novik’s Uprooted, Erin Morgenstern’s The Night Circus, and Neil Gaiman’s myth-rich fantasies, The Bear and the Nightingale spins an irresistible spell as it announces the arrival of a singular talent with a gorgeous voice.

At the edge of the Russian wilderness, winter lasts most of the year and the snowdrifts grow taller than houses. But Vasilisa doesn’t mind—she spends the winter nights huddled around the embers of a fire with her beloved siblings, listening to her nurse’s fairy tales. Above all, she loves the chilling story of Frost, the blue-eyed winter demon, who appears in the frigid night to claim unwary souls. Wise Russians fear him, her nurse says, and honor the spirits of house and yard and forest that protect their homes from evil.

After Vasilisa’s mother dies, her father goes to Moscow and brings home a new wife. Fiercely devout, city-bred, Vasilisa’s new stepmother forbids her family from honoring the household spirits. The family acquiesces, but Vasilisa is frightened, sensing that more hinges upon their rituals than anyone knows.

And indeed, crops begin to fail, evil creatures of the forest creep nearer, and misfortune stalks the village. All the while, Vasilisa’s stepmother grows ever harsher in her determination to groom her rebellious stepdaughter for either marriage or confinement in a convent.

As danger circles, Vasilisa must defy even the people she loves and call on dangerous gifts she has long concealed—this, in order to protect her family from a threat that seems to have stepped from her nurse’s most frightening tales.

I have always loved reading Russian folktales and the fact that this book is inspired by Russian folktales makes me want to read this book even more!  Also, evil spirits and demons?  Who doesn't want to read about that?



So, what upcoming books are you looking forward to?  Please respond below!

15 comments:

  1. I've seen this one a few times, and I'm intrigued. I might wait for a few reviews to come out first. Hope you enjoy this one! Have a great week!

    WOW
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got an ARC of this, and I've started it, but it's not grabbing me very well so far. I hope that you get it and enjoy it more than I am. Great pick! Thanks for visiting my WOW on Lisa Loves Literature earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen a lot of excitement about this book! I admit, I don't have much interest, but I might give it a shot if some of my close bloggy friends decide to read it. I hope you enjoy this book when you get a chance to read it!

    Have a fabulous week, Ronyell. =)

    Check out my WoW post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good. I like the winter setting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen this book around and it sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like such an interesting book. I hope you get to read it soon.


    My WoW post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I would love this book. I love Russian folktales as well so I'll just HAVE to read it.

    My WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! There's nothing like a good Russian folktale to get you reading!

      Delete