Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Waiting on Wednesday #77: A Girl Like That by Tanaz Bhathena




Hello everyone! "Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, that is hosted by Breaking the Spine and the purpose of this event is that we spotlight upcoming releases of books that we are excited for!  This will also tie into Wishful Ending's Can't Wait Wednesday post!







This week's pre-publication "can't-wait-to-read" selection is:






Title:  A Girl Like That
Author:  Tanaz Bhathena
Expected Publication Date:  February 27th, 2018




A timeless exploration of high-stakes romance, self-discovery, and the lengths we go to love and be loved. 

Sixteen-year-old Zarin Wadia is many things: a bright and vivacious student, an orphan, a risk taker. She’s also the kind of girl that parents warn their kids to stay away from: a troublemaker whose many romances are the subject of endless gossip at school.  You don't want to get involved with a girl like that, they say. So how is it that eighteen-year-old Porus Dumasia has only ever had eyes for her? And how did Zarin and Porus end up dead in a car together, crashed on the side of a highway in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia? When the religious police arrive on the scene, everything everyone thought they knew about Zarin is questioned. And as her story is pieced together, told through multiple perspectives, it becomes clear that she was far more than just a girl like that. 

This beautifully written debut novel from Tanaz Bhathena reveals a rich and wonderful new world to readers. It tackles complicated issues of race, identity, class, and religion, and paints a portrait of teenage ambition, angst, and alienation that feels both inventive and universal.


Another book that features a diverse character and the real life issues of race and self identity?  Count me in!


So, what upcoming books are you looking forward to?  Please respond below!

26 comments:

  1. I saw this book on another blog yesterday and it looks quite interesting. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds interesting, even with the multiple POVs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pick! Not quite my kind of read but I hope you positively love it once you read it!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one has been on my TBR for a long while. I love identity stories, and am happy to see more diverse offerings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been seeing this one around. It looks good, and that is a gorgeous cover! Great pick! Thanks for visiting my Wednesday Post on Lisa Loves Literature earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds awesome! Lots of different social issues to touch on, and diversity and #ownvoices too. Not too long to wait, that's good. :D I hope you enjoy this book when you get the chance to read it!

    Have a wonderful day, Ronyell. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not only does the cover look gorgeous, the synopsis sounds absolutely amazing. Thanks for sharing, this will go straight to my wishlist!

    And thanks for visiting my blog.
    Best wishes
    Vi @Inkvotary

    ReplyDelete
  8. First time I hear about this one, but it sounds interesting and I really hope it's going to work great for you!

    Thanks for sharing and stopping by my blog earlier :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is also one of my most anticipated books! I hope we both love it :D

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you enjoy this debut!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, first of all, that cover is certainly STUNNING! Now I want to get that exact pair of sunglasses!! Lol. Second, the plot sounds positively AWESOME. All the psychological ramifications are definitely intriguing! Although this is not my usual type of read, I think I'll add it to my Goodreads shelves!

    Thanks for sharing! Thanks as well for commenting on my "Can't Wait Wednesday" post!! <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pick. I have heard mix reviews about this book on goodreads, with other readers that have received early copies of it. I don't think is my cup of tea but I do hope you enjoy it when you get the chance.

    ReplyDelete