Saturday, May 14, 2016

[BOOK REVIEW] My Friend Rabbit by Eric Rohmann








Title:  My Friend Rabbit

Author:  Eric Rohmann

Genre:  Animals / Friendship / Humor

Year Published: 2002

Year Read:  2016

Publisher: Roaring Brook Press


Source:  Library

Content Rating:  Ages 4+  (Nothing Objectionable)

Buy on:  Amazon  //  Book Depository 




Now I will admit. I never knew that there was a TV series based on this book until just recently (I guess it is because I just read this book recently).  But despite not knowing about that, “My Friend Rabbit” is a children’s book that is written and illustrated by Eric Rohmann and it has won the Caldecott Medal award and this is seriously one children’s book that I had enjoyed immensely!


Mouse’s best friend is Rabbit and they usually play together, especially with Mouse’s special toy airplane.  Unfortunately, Rabbit has a tendency to get himself in trouble and when he plays with Mouse’s toy airplane and gets it stuck in a tree, Rabbit of course, has a plan to get the airplane out of the tree.  So, Rabbit gathers up various animals in the forest which included an elephant, a rhinoceros, a hippopotamus, a bear, an alligator and many more animals in order to have the animals stand on each other to make a ladder and have mouse climb on the animals to reach his airplane.

Will this plan work or will it cause more problems for everyone?

Read this book to find out!


Wow!  This book was simply cute, hilarious and amazing all at the same time and I am so glad that I had the honor to check this book out!  Eric Rohmann’s writing is witty and cute, even though there were not that many words on each page.  I loved the hilarious moments in this book where Rabbit ends up causing trouble for everyone when he tries to help out his friend Mouse as his tactics such as stacking various animals on top of each other to create a ladder was downright exaggerated to see!    I also loved the fact that Mouse was still willing to defend Rabbit throughout the story despite Rabbit making so many mistakes as it shows how strong their friendship is and how Mouse accepts Rabbit for who he is no matter what.  Eric Rohmann’s artwork is also something that should be desired as the characters are drawn in bold and sharp edged lines that really bring out so much uniqueness to the story and I loved the way that Rabbit and Mouse are drawn in an extremely cute way on each page.


Overall, “My Friend Rabbit” is a truly fantastic book that children who want to learn more about the power of friendship should definitely check out and this book will remain a favorite among children and parents for many years to come!

2003 Caldecott Medal



No comments:

Post a Comment