Friday, May 13, 2016

Fairy Tale and Folktale Fridays #13: The Monkey People



Hey there!  Welcome to "Fairy Tale and Folktale Fridays," a new feature on my blog where I discuss about some fairy tales and folktales I have read throughout the years. 



The Monkey People


 

Type: Folktale

Country of Origin: Colombia

Main Character Hero or Heroine: Hero

Recommend?: Yes!


The story starts off with a group of village people who were once prosperous until one day, the villagers had gotten so lazy, that they wouldn't do their own house chores or building more huts and the village ended up being in a state of disarray.  One day, an old man arrives at the village and even though the villagers were quite rude to him when they first met him, he ended up winning them over by creating monkeys out of  leaves and made them do all the chores around the village.  Unfortunately, even though the monkeys are doing everything around the village that needs to be done, the people are still not satisfied and they wished for the monkeys to do even more chores such as helping them digest their food or to blow a leaf.

I really enjoyed this story.  I loved the fact that this story was basically teaching people about the consequences of not performing your work duties and to not be lazy when it comes to doing your chores.  It was also interesting to me that the old an was making monkeys out of leaves and then have them perform various chores for the people.

 



1. What would you make out of leaves and what would you have the leaf creature do?

For me, instead of monkeys, I would use the leaf to create brooms and mops and have them do all the house chores for me, so I don't have to do much!


 

 


The Bremen Town Musicians


No comments:

Post a Comment