Friday, February 5, 2016

[BOOK REVIEW] The Hardy Boys: Chaos at 30,000 Feet Volume 19 by Scott Lobdell












Title:  The Hardy Boys: Chaos at 30,000 Feet Volume 19


Author:  Scott Lobdell


Artist: Paulo Henrique


Genre:  Mystery / Adventure / Thriller / Crime


Year Published:  2010


Year Read: 1/31/2016


Series:  The Hardy Boys #19


Publisher:  Papercutz


Source:  Library


Content Rating:  Ages 7+ (Fight Scenes)




Introduction:



Now that I am getting into the newer “Hardy Boys” graphic novel books, I am starting to gain some more interest in this series, although I have not read a “Hardy Boys” graphic novel book that has earned a five star rating from me as of yet.  So, I picked up another graphic novel of “The Hardy Boys” called “Chaos at 30,000 Feet” and I found it to be just as interesting as the ninth volume “To Die or Not to Die?”



What is this story about?

In this volume, Frank and Joe Hardy go on another case as they applied themselves as students at the Fly-Rite Flight Instruction School.  They find out that there have been some bizarre goings-on at the school as many students started disappearing without a trace.  Meanwhile, they also have to deal with a fellow student named Suzi Shields, who ended up suffering from a concussion when a large bolt landed on her head and she believes herself to be Amelia Earhart!

Can Frank and Joe find out about the disappearances going on at the Fly-Rite Flight Instruction School before it is too late?

Read this book to find out!

What I loved about this story:

Scott Lobdell’s writing: Wow!  I seriously think that this series is getting even better as I read each volume!  Scott Lobdell continues to write intriguing versions of Frank and Joe Hardy as we see the two brothers working together by using their intelligence to solve the case!  I love the way that Scott Lobdell made the interactions between the characters believable as I found myself laughing at Joe’s jokes throughout the story, while Frank remains to be taking the cases much more seriously than Joe does.  I also loved the fact that Scott Lobdell is able to weave both adventure and humor into this story as I was sitting on the edge of my seat wondering if Frank and Joe would solve the case of the disappearing students, while laughing at the humorous bantering between Frank and Joe!

Paulo Henrique’s artwork:  As usual, Paulo Henrique’s artwork made me love this series even more since I loved the way that the Hardy Boys were drawn in this volume as they look even more muscular this time around and the action sequences were extremely well drawn and exciting to look at.

What made me feel uncomfortable about this story:

The reason why I gave this book a four star rating was because once again, the story felt a bit too clunky in some places, such as how quickly it tried to resolve the case in the story without taking the time to really develop the clues that lead to the culprit who was making the students disappear at the airplane school.  Also, the ending was a bit too abrupt and I would have loved to see more happen from the culprit’s fate and where the Hardy Boys go after this case.

Final Thoughts:

Overall, “The Hardy Boys: Chaos at 30,000 Feet” was a great volume for the “Hardy Boys” series that anyone who is a huge fan of the “Hardy Boys” will greatly enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment