Sunday, April 7, 2013

[BOOK REVIEW] Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst


Title:  Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Author: Judith Viorst

Artist:  Ray Cruz

Genre: Family / Humor / Self-Esteem


Year Published: 1972


Year Read:  2010

Series: Alexander #1

Publisher:  Atheneum Books for Young Readers

Source:  Library

Content Rating:  Ages 4+ (Some Mischievous Behavior)

Buy on:  Amazon  //  Book Depository 


“Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day” (whew what a title) is a children’s book by Judith Viorst along with illustrations by Ray Cruz and it is about how a young boy named Alexander who ends up having a terrible day.  “Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day” is truly one of the most memorable books ever created!

I have clearly enjoyed this book as Judith Viorst has done a great job at writing this book and Ray Cruz’s illustrations also contribute greatly to the story’s humor.  Judith Viorst makes the story extremely humorous and creative as the book is narrated by Alexander himself as he tells the audience about the terrible day he is having and many children will definitely relate to Alexander’s situation as the situation appears from his own perspective.  I also understand Alexander’s predicament since I had my share of bad days and I wished that I was somewhere else rather than the place I am at now when I am having a bad day.  Ray Cruz’s illustrations are simply beautiful and hilarious, especially the image of Alexander with his matted hair and a scowl on his face all throughout the book.  I also loved the black and white coloring used in this book as it reflects an old-fashioned feel to the story in a modern world.

“Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day” is truly one of the most inspirational books for children who have had their share of bad days and I’m definitely sure that many children will enjoy this book as much as I did!  I would recommend this book to children ages four and up since there is nothing inappropriate in this book.




No comments:

Post a Comment