Thursday, July 26, 2018

☀Daily Book Chat #28:☀ Hardcover vs Paperback…which do you prefer?





 Hello everyone! Welcome to my  ☀Daily Book Chat☀ where I do some SERIOUS discussions that fellow book fans will get a kick out of and relate their thoughts about the subject to other book fans!

Today's discussion question is Hardcover vs. Paperback... which do you prefer?




So, I have a little story to tell.  Once upon a time, I used to buy any type of book indiscriminately without thinking about whether or not the book in question is in hardcover or paperback.  Even if said book was a part of a series, I tended to buy the books as I see them in the bookstores, which eventually leads to having two books in a series being in paperback while the other four books in the series are in hardcover.

But now, since I wanted my bookshelves to look all NICE and PRETTY, I have decided that at this point forward, if I buy one book in a series in either paperback or hardcover, then I'll buy the whole series in that one format.


So, now that story time is over, let's get to the REAL question here:  which do you prefer: HARDCOVER or PAPERBACK?




For me personally, even though I would buy both paperbacks and hardcovers, especially when I'm trying to keep up with having a certain book series in one format, the winner for me is:

HARDCOVERS!!!




I personally like hardcover books more because (and here's the list here, folks):

1. NAKED COVERS:  Wait a minute...naked covers?  What kind of response is that?  Well, naked covers are those covers that don't have the book slips on it and some of those naked covers would have some pretty SWEET designs on them!  I always enjoy looking at those naked covers whenever I pick up a hardcover book!




2. NO RUINED COVERS:  You know when you pick up this book that has one of the world's most AWESOME covers and you want to CHERISH that cover for many decades?  Well, sometimes the problems I have with paperback books is that those covers can easily be RUINED if you mishandled them too much because of how flimsy they can be.  However, with hardcover books, you don't really have to worry about ruining the covers since the covers are HARD AS STONE (unless you accidentally tore the book slip for the cover).





3. WAY EASIER TO USE FOR BOOK PHOTOS:  Now, this is just something that mostly applies to me (although it could apply to other fellow BOOKSTAGRAMMERS), but whenever I do my book photos for Instagram, I find it a whole lot easier to use hardcover books than paperback books because they tend to stand up much straighter than paperback books.  Whenever I'm taking book photos, I usually have problems with paperback books since they tend to fall over themselves so much and it usually DRIVES ME CRAZY!




Overall, even though HARDCOVER books tend to be more expensive than PAPERBACK books, I tend to use hardcover books more because I don't have to worry about my PRECIOUS books being ruined most of the time.  But, that's MY personal opinion on this matter.

So, what are your thoughts on all this?  Which types of books do you like better: hardcovers or paperbacks?


Annnnnnddddd....as always everybody:




HAPPY READING, BOOK FANS!!!!







5 comments:

  1. I prefer to own books in hardcover because they look nicer on the shelves, but I think I prefer to physically read from a paperback because they're usually more portable and they don't have dust jackets. So I borrow paperbacks from the library when I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah! Sometimes the problem with hardcovers is that you have to deal with the dust jackets!

      Delete
  2. I suppose I like hardcover books more than paperbacks, but it usually depends on a few factors, like space, interest in the book, and the number of times I hope to read it. My current thing about paperbacks over hardcover right now is that paperbacks are so much lighter to carry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that paperbacks are way lighter to carry. Hardcover books can be a pain to carry, especially if you carry too much!

      Delete
  3. I agree that I prefer hardcovers. And I pretty much agree with all your reasons too. Unless the paperback is special in some way, hardcover wins!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete