Friday, June 15, 2018

Fairy Tale and Folktale Fridays #25: The Tiger and the Brahmin



Hey there!  Welcome to "Fairy Tale and Folktale Fridays," a new feature on my blog where I discuss about some fairy tales and folktales I have read throughout the years. 


The Tiger and the Brahmin





 

Type: Folktale

Country of Origin: India

Main Character Hero or Heroine: Hero

Recommend?: Yes! 






Once upon a time, there lived a brahmin who was a very wise man and he would go around India trying to help out anyone who needed help.  One day, the brahmin came across a tiger who was trapped in a cage and the tiger was begging for the brahmin to let him out of the cage.  At first, the brahmin was hesitant about letting the tiger out of the cage because he knew that the tiger would try to eat him if he got freed.  But, the brahmin let the tiger out of the cage anyway and sure enough, the tiger then tried to eat the brahmin.  The brahmin then pleaded for his life and the tiger then decided to give the brahmin a chance to live if the brahmin goes to the first three things he meets and ask each of them about what the tiger should do to the brahmin.  So, the brahmin goes on his journey to ask the first three things about whether or not the tiger should eat him or not.






I really enjoyed this story!  I liked the fact that this story teaches readers about the importance of being assertive of other people's motives, while still trying to be kind towards other people also.  I also liked the fact that this story teaches about the importance of showing gratitude towards the people who have helped you instead of trying to take advantage of them after they helped you.  I also think that the jackal was my favorite character in this story as he was quite entertaining to read!

 




1. What do you hope to understand about the world?

For me, I would like to understand about why people fight each other so much or why world peace is so hard to accomplish, even though many people tried to make it a goal in society.

2. Was there a time where someone took advantage of your kindness?

Of course, when I was in middle and high school, people tend to take advantage of me when it comes to doing school work.  Luckily, I learned my lesson once I got to college.

3. What's your favorite folktale from India?

So far, "The Tiger and the Brahmin" is the only folktale I've read from India so far. I'm hoping to read more folktales from India soon!



 

The Tiger and the Brahmin by Brian Gleeson; illustrated by Kurt Vargo

 


The Tiger, the Brahman and the Jackal by M.J. York; illustrated by Jill Dubin

 

 

 

The Tiger, the Brahmin and the Jackal by K. Lock; illustrated by D. Kenneti


  


  



The Sea King's Daughter







The Princess and the Pea


No comments:

Post a Comment