Friday, November 11, 2016

Fairy Tale and Folktale Fridays #17: Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby



Hey there!  Welcome to "Fairy Tale and Folktale Fridays," a new feature on my blog where I discuss about some fairy tales and folktales I have read throughout the years. 


Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby


 



Type: Folktale


Country of Origin: USA


Main Character Hero or Heroine: Hero


Recommend?: Yes!


The story starts off with Brer Rabbit hassling Brer Fox due to Brer Fox trying to eat Brer Rabbit several times before.  So, when Brer Fox got tired of Brer Rabbit's antics, he decided to make a tar baby to trap Brer Rabbit with.  When Brer Rabbit spotted the tar baby, he actually believed that the tar baby was a person and he started having a conservation with the tar baby.  But the tar baby didn't say anything to Brer Rabbit and this made Brer Rabbit so made that he punched the tar baby and he ended up getting his hands stuck in the tar baby.  It was then that Brer Fox showed up and told Brer Rabbit that he finally the best of him and he now wants to eat him up!  So, Brer Rabbit has to start thinking of a way to get out this mess or else he will become Brer Fox's dinner!



This has always been of my most favorite "Brer Rabbit" stories (next to "Brer Rabbit and Boss Lion") and one of the most recognizable as anyone who has heard of the "Brer Rabbit" stories know more about this particular story rather than the other stories.  What I loved about this story is that it teaches readers about the power of using your wits to get out of a tricky situation and I loved the way that Brer Rabbit used his wits to trick Brer Fox in order to get out of being eaten by him.
 



1. If you were in situation where you were in real danger, what would you do?

 

Before I go out on my own, I would take with a can of mace or something to strike the person with in case they tried to hurt me.  Then, I would run home and call the police.  But I would also make sure that take a picture of that person so that way the cops would know who tried to attack me.

  2. Do you think using your wits would be the best way to get out of a dangerous situation?

It all depends on the situation.  If the situation just requires me to talk out of a difficult situation, then I definitely think that using my wits would be the best bet.  However, if I am physically able to defend myself and the situation requires me to defend myself in a physical way, then I would use my defenses to defend myself.
  

 

Brer Rabbit and the Wonderful Tar Baby by Eric Metaxas

 

 



Bruh Rabbit and the Tar Baby Girl by Virginia Hamilton

 

 

 

 

Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby by Janet R. Johnson

 

  

Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby by Disney

 

  


 

 

Thumbelina

No comments:

Post a Comment