Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Waiting on Wednesday #6: Vassa in the Night by Sarah Porter

Hello everyone! "Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, that is hosted by Breaking the Spine and the purpose of this event is that we spotlight upcoming releases of books that we are excited for! 

This week's pre-publication "can't-wait-to-read" selection is:



Title: Vassa in the Night

Author: Sarah Porter

Expected Publication DateSeptember 20th, 2016
In the enchanted kingdom of Brooklyn, the fashionable people put on cute shoes, go to parties in warehouses, drink on rooftops at sunset, and tell themselves they’ve arrived. A whole lot of Brooklyn is like that now—but not Vassa’s working-class neighborhood.

In Vassa’s neighborhood, where she lives with her stepmother and bickering stepsisters, one might stumble onto magic, but stumbling out again could become an issue. Babs Yagg, the owner of the local convenience store, has a policy of beheading shoplifters—and sometimes innocent shoppers as well. So when Vassa’s stepsister sends her out for light bulbs in the middle of night, she knows it could easily become a suicide mission.

But Vassa has a bit of luck hidden in her pocket, a gift from her dead mother. Erg is a tough-talking wooden doll with sticky fingers, a bottomless stomach, and a ferocious cunning. With Erg’s help, Vassa just might be able to break the witch’s curse and free her Brooklyn neighborhood. But Babs won’t be playing fair. . . .

Inspired by the Russian folktale Vassilissa the Beautiful and Sarah Porter’s years of experience teaching creative writing to New York City students.
The fact that it's based off a Russian folktale (which I'm a huge fan of) has really got me interested in this book and I can't wait to check it out when it comes out!

So, what upcoming books are you looking forward to?  Please respond below!






27 comments:

  1. Oh nice! Been seeing a lot of this one lately! Hope you love it too!

    Thanks for visiting my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great, hope you love it!

    Thanks for stopping by my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover for VitN is so pretty. :)

    Rachelle @ Shell's Stories

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one does sound very good! Great pick! Thanks for stopping by my WOW earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vassa in the Night looks good!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pick! I just love the cover of Vassa in the Night. I hope you enjoy it when you get a chance to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks swesome.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm hoping to read VASSA soon! It seems like a good one, and I'm officially in my Sept TBR. I hope you enjoy this book when you get a chance to read it!

    Thanks for visiting my blog! Have a lovely week. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo, I want to read this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That cover looks beautiful - and the blurb sounds very interesting. Hope you enjoy.
    best wishes
    Vi @ Gone With The Books

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG!!!! How is it that I haven't heard of this new novel?! I LOVE Russian fairy tales, just like you!! So this is an IMMEDIATE add to my Goodreads shelves!! And the cover is SO lovely, as well! Thanks for featuring this!!!

    As for the second part of your post, I think this meme is a FAB idea!! I hope you can get more book bloggers to participate. I will try to join in after your Graphic Novels Part II post, as I don't read many graphic novels. But! I just might start, after seeing the AMAZING recommendations you've posted here! X-Men? Heck, YEAH!!! So thanks for sharing this, too!

    Last but definitely NOT least, thanks for visiting my blog, and commenting on my own WOW!! Have an AWESOME weekend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope this new meme gets on track too! How do you make your own meme popular or at least well known to other bloggers?

      Delete
  12. I haven't heard of this one before but it sounds super interesting and I can't think of much based on Russian folklore before so yay there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohh awesome pick this one really looks and sounds very intriguing and absolutely amazing! I hope you do enjoy it when you get a chance. Thank you for stopping by my WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great cover of Vassa in the Night and X-men! YEAH! Great recommendation!!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog A Booklion's Hideaway

    ReplyDelete