Saturday, January 10, 2015

[BOOK REVIEW] Brer Rabbit and the Wonderful Tar Baby by Eric Metaxas





Title:  Brer Rabbit and the Wonderful Tar Baby

Author:  Eric Metaxas

Artist:  Henrik Drescher

Genre:  Animal / African American / Trickery / Contraptions

Year Published: 1990

Year Read:  1993

Publisher:
Rabbit Ears Books

Source:  Library

Content Rating:  Ages 5+ (Some Scary Imagery)

Buy on:  Amazon  //  Book Depository 


 This is a Grammy-award nominated story that is masterfully done by the folks at Rabbit Ears. Danny Glover's raspy yet calming narration and Taj Mahal's solo guitar music helps complements the story of those two tricksters, Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox. 
Danny Glover does a great job at narrating this story as he provides inflections throughout the story such as going deep when he does Brer Fox and going high-pitched when he does Brer Rabbit. Danny Glover's narration is calm and energetic and makes this story great to listen to on the ears. Taj Mahal's solo guitar music is excellent as the music greatly matches the story's calm mood and southern roots. 
Although, I found nothing inappropriate about this story, I felt that Henrik Drescher's illustrations were a little awkward for this story. Since, the mood of the story is calm and sweet, Henrik Drescher's illustrations are a bit wild and blunt and the illustrations usually take the attention away from the main story. I did not like how the contraption came to be as it looks like a black jug that has wobbly legs attached to it instead of an actual person, which is normally seen in the other versions of this story. 
Overall, this is a great story that fans of the Brer Rabbit would greatly appreciate. Both Danny Glover and Taj Mahal make a great team at providing the southern theme for this story. However, the illustrations may need to be improved to match the mood of the story.





           

6 comments:

  1. I loved this book when I was a kid and it was a little golden book! Wow that was like eons ago...lol. This would be so cool to listen too! My dad use to do voices when I was a kid for them so this would be a bit of a nostalgic listen/read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! This story was awesome! I also owned the Disney version on book!

      Delete
  2. I've never read any books about Brer Rabbit! I saw Song of the South a couple years ago and absolutely loved it (and I LOVE Splash Mountain) so I'd like to read some of these at some point. Thanks for sharing!

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I still haven't seen Song of the South yet, so I might give that movie a shot.

      Delete
  3. This looks interesting. I remember this story from when I was a child. I think I had a record with a read a long book.

    ReplyDelete