Friday, April 15, 2016

Fairy Tale and Folktale Fridays #12: Puss in Boots



Hey there!  Welcome to "Fairy Tale and Folktale Fridays," a new feature on my blog where I discuss about some fairy tales and folktales I have read throughout the years. 


Puss in Boots








 

Type: Fairy Tale

Country of Origin: France

Main Character Hero or Heroine: Animal Hero

Recommend?: Yes!





The story starts off with a miller and his three sons and later on, the miller ends up dying and left his sons his inheritance.  For the two oldest sons, he left them the mill and his property, while with the youngest son, he left him a shabby tomcat.  This then causes the two older brothers to turn the youngest brother out of the property and the youngest son was left with only the tomcat as his company.  Afterwards, the youngest son decided to eat the tomcat and in order to save its own life, the tomcat (now calling himself "Puss in Boots") promised the youngest son that he will help him achieve riches beyond his dreams.  In order to achieve this, Puss in Boots first tries to impress the King by proclaiming that his master is the Marques of Carabas (the youngest son) and that he owns so much land in the kingdom.  The King was so impressed with this announcement that he decided that he must meet the Marques of Carabas himself and also wants his daughter to marry the Marques.  Meanwhile, Puss in Boots sets out to make his claims about the Miller's son true by convincing most of the people of the land that they should say that the Marques of Carabas owns all the land and also trying to take the castle away from a sadistic ogre!





I absolutely loved this story! I always thought that it was pretty interesting in how Puss in Boots was able to deceive the king into thinking that the miller's son was the Marques of Carabas, while still fulfilling his promise in making the miller's son into a rich man.  I also loved the fact that we have a talking cat as the main protagonist in a fairy tale since it brings so much creativity and humor to the story.  I also thought that the addition of the ogre at the end of the story was a nice twist in the story as the story started off as being a lighthearted story about a cat trying to turn a miller's son into a prince and then we have a threatening ogre who suddenly shows up at the end of the story!
 




1. What kind of person would you like to be?

I would love to be a writer, since I love reading and I love giving out my creative ideas out to the world!


2. What animal would you like to see talk?


I wouldn't mind seeing a dog or a frog talk since I think that would be pretty cool and I would love to hear the things they have to say!

3. Would you like to live in a castle?

I definitely would like to live in a big castle, especially with all the royal arrangements being set up in the castle.  Unfortunately, I probably would be terrified at the idea of being in a bi place by myself if someone were to sneak inside the palace without me knowing!





 

Puss in Boots by Eric Metaxas



Puss in Boots; illustrated by Fred Marcellino

 

 

Puss in Boots by Ladybird Books

 

 

Puss in Boots by Little Golden Book



Puss in Boots by Jerry Pinkney



 

 



The Monkey People

No comments:

Post a Comment