Tuesday, April 10, 2012

[BOOK REVIEW] Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas


Title:  Devil in Winter

Author: Lisa Kleypas

Genre: Historical Romance

Year Published: 2006

Number of Pages: 455 pages

Date Read: 3/31/2011

Series: Wallflowers #3   

Publisher:  Avon

Source:  Library

Content Rating:  Ages 18+ (Sex Scenes)

Buy on:  Amazon  //  Book Depository 


 I have recently been reading Lisa Kleypas' “Wallflower” series and so far, I have enjoyed the series immensely!  This time, I have read the third book in the “Wallflower” series called “Devil in Winter” and in this book, we are introduced to the relationship between Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent and Evangeline Jenner!  Full of drama, forbidden love, and a rake that you would have never seen reforming himself, “Devil in Winter” will certainly go up any romance novel fans' alley!

Evangeline Jenner (Evie, for short), the shyest of the Wallflowers, has escaped from her terrible relatives to marry someone powerful enough to get her out of her terrible situation and the one person that Evie encounters to make the dangerous proposition of marriage is none other than the notorious rake Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent!  Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent may seem like the most dangerous man around London, but Evie will soon discover that there might be a warm side to Sebastian that no one else has ever seen.

After reading "It Happened One Autumn", I kind of did not have any feelings for Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent after he kidnapped Lillian Bowman and I was wondering to myself about how Sebastian would be able to redeem himself after that fiasco.  Well, when I read this book, I was just blown away by how Lisa Kleypas was able to make the former notorious rake into quite a charming and kindhearted hero of this story!  I honestly loved the couple Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent and Evangeline Jenner and  I will admit that I thought that the match was a little odd because Evie is so shy and Lord St. Vincent was so vindictive and cold when we first met him, but Lisa Kleypas was able to make that odd pair up work so well in this story that I found myself cheering on for the couple.  Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent was truly a one of a kind hero in this book because it was so surprising for me to see him transform from a cold rake to a loyal and kind character the moment he met Evie and I just loved the way that Sebastian would do anything to protect Evie from any kind of danger that befalls her and believe me Evie is constantly threatened throughout the book, but Sebastian was always there to rescue her.  I also loved seeing the deeper side of Sebastian, as he was at first frustrated with Evie because he did not know about what love is all about since he has spent most of his life chasing after women and never really getting into a serious relationship. Probably my most favorite moment with Sebastian was when Evie's horrible uncle, Uncle Peregrine tried to take Evie back to her relatives and Sebastian single-handily beats up the uncle and if that does not score sexy points for Sebastian, I do not know what does!

Evangeline Jenner is currently my most favorite heroine in the romance novel universe because she may be shy at first, but as the book goes along, she become a strong and caring person.  What I really loved about Evie is that she truly cares about Sebastian and all her friends and my favorite moment with Evie was when Sebastian got extremely ill after he got shot and Evie was there to comfort him in his time of need.  That moment there truly showed me how much Evie truly cared about Sebastian and how she was always willing to help out anyone, no matter how dangerous the situation is.  The true highlight of this book for me was Sebastian and Evie's relationship with each other as they started out as the usual bickering couple you would see in many romance novels, but as the book progresses, they became an extremely loving couple to puts all other romance couples to shame.  What made Sebastian and Evie's relationship so magical was how Evie's stammering (which she was well known for) had immediately stopped when she started spending time with Sebastian and that right there proved to me that love can cure almost anything.  I thought it was really cute about how Sebastian would literally crumble whenever he is near Evie since he has never known what it was like to love someone and that gave us a lot of cute moments between Evie and Sebastian.

There are many sex scenes in this book so if anyone feels uncomfortable about reading these scenes, then they can skip over these scenes if it is too much.

Overall, out of all of the “Wallflower” series I have read so far, “Devil in Winter” remains to be the most touching and emotional book of the series and it was magical to see both characters overcome their fears of society in order to be together! Lisa Kleypas fans, I would definitely recommend this book to absolutely anyone!! Now, I am going to read the next book in the “Wallflower” series, "Scandal in Spring"!




No comments:

Post a Comment