Saturday, March 3, 2012

[BOOK REVIEW] Secrets of a Summer Night by Lisa Kleypas

Title:  Secrets of a Summer Night

Author:  Lisa Kleypas

Genre: Historical Romance

Year Published: 2004

Number of Pages: 326 pages

Date Read: 2/16/2011

Series: Wallflowers #1  

Publisher:  Avon

Source:  Library

Content Rating:  Ages 18+ (Sex Scenes)

Buy on:  Amazon  //  Book Depository 


Why is it every time that I read a book by Lisa Kleypas, I am always so into the characters and the situations that surrounds them?  Well, the answer to that is that Lisa Kleypas is clearly a brilliant romance writer and reading many of her books has been an awesome experience that I have enjoyed doing over and over again!  This time, I have read the first book in Lisa Kleypas’ “Wallflower” series called “Secrets of a Summer Night” and it is surely full of drama, thrills and hot romance that will surely put any romance fan in a soothing mood!

Annabelle Peyton, well known for being a wallflower in London society, vows to seek a worthy husband to cover her family’s debt since she does not have a dowry that would make her worthy in any nobleman’s eyes.  However, Annabelle has her sights set on Lord Kendall, a lord who is currently unmarried, but suddenly, Annabelle realizes that Simon Hunt, a mysterious man that Annabelle met years ago, is also after her heart and plans to make Annabelle his alone!  Will Annabelle allow Simon into her life?  Read this book to find out!

Oh my goodness! Words cannot describe how much I loved this book from Lisa Kleypas’ popular “Wallflower” series!  Lisa Kleypas has done an excellent job at writing this romantic tale of what true love is all about!  What I really loved about this book were the characters themselves, especially Annabelle Peyton and Simon Hunt as they are both strong and interesting characters!  Let me start with Simon Hunt first since I am really interested in his character.  Simon Hunt is easily one of the best romance heroes ever created because not only does he have an awesome muscular body that makes him somewhat of a superhuman, but he has a heart full of gold as he deeply cares for Annabelle during her time of need and he is willing to put his life in the line if anything happens to Annabelle and it was that personality trait of Simon’s that made me really love his character.  I have briefly mentioned about Simon’s muscular body and I just love any romance hero who has muscles of steel, especially in the case of Simon as Lisa Kleypas makes sure that the audience knows how hard Simon’s muscles are!  Another character I really loved in this book was Annabelle Peyton herself as she is clearly a strong and independent woman who does not let anyone get in the way of her goal of obtaining a husband.  I will admit at first that I got a little annoyed with Annabelle always dismissing Simon, even though it is clear from the get go that Simon is a seriously pleasant man, but once she found out what a gentle and loyal man Simon is, she cared as much for Simon as Simon did for her and I was just so amazed at the lengths that Annabelle took to protect Simon!  I also loved the brief little relationship between Lord Westcliff and Lillian Bowman as they clearly hate each other, but I guess once I read the rest of the “Wallflower” series, they might change their tune.  And let us not forget about the sizzling love making scenes between Annabelle and Simon as they are extremely out of this world hot and they provide the best love making dialogues I have ever read from any romance novel like:

“I want to make you scream and claw and faint in my arms.”

For anyone who do not like reading about sex scenes in a book, this book has many sex scenes between Annabelle and Simon and it would be best to skip over these scenes if they are uncomfortable to read through.

Overall, “Secrets of a Summer Night” is a clearly extraordinary book from the great romantic mind of Lisa Kleypas that all romance novel fans will enjoy for many years to come!






No comments:

Post a Comment