Saturday, October 5, 2024

☀Daily Book Chat #48:☀ Top 10 Children's Books with Creepy Illustrations (or Artwork that gives me the willies)

 



Hello everyone! Welcome to my ☀Daily Book Chat☀ where I do some SERIOUS discussions that fellow book fans will get a kick out of and relate their thoughts about the subject to other book fans!


Today's discussion question is TOP 10 CHILDREN'S BOOKS THAT HAVE CREEPY ILLUSTRATIONS!


So, it's October and that means that it's time to talk about some spooky books for this month!  So, for this month, I wanted to talk about children's books that have some SERIOUSLY creepy artwork!  So, I've been reading children's books like FOREVER and I've stumbled across a lot of children's books that have creepy artwork!  So, whether these books are horror themed or just your regular run of the mill children's book, the artwork in these books are sure to give you the WILLIES!

Here are the top 10 Children's Books with Creepy Illustrations (in no particular order, of course)!


1. THE SIX SERVANTS BY BROTHERS GRIMM; ARTWORK BY SERGEI GOLOSHAPOV




I really loved this interpretation of the classic Brothers Grimm tale as the artwork is what really stood out to me.  The artwork is so creepy to look at, especially whenever they show exaggerated features of the characters in creepy ways.








This series has always been something that I love to read every October and man, the original artwork by Stephen Gammell were some of the creepiest artwork that I've seen in any children's book! So creepy in fact that it caused the series to get banned and then, they redesigned the artwork to make it less scary (which is the worst thing you can ever do to a series as beloved as this one!)






This is probably the first book I've read by Edward Gorey and man, did it make an impact on me!  The fact that this book is all about the many different ways that the kids in this story die and the really creepy artwork that accompanies this really made this worth reading!






I read this book years ago and even though it was a really fun read, I was quite surprised by how disturbing the artwork can get, especially with Camilla's transformations throughout the book.






This is another one of my favorite children's books as the poems are wacky and I especially loved Henrik Drescher's chaotic artwork.  Although, there are some genuinely creepy imagery in this book.







This was a really interesting and creepy book to read through.  I think that the creepy artwork really fit so well with the surprisingly scary story.






I never thought that there would be a horror version of "Cinderella" and man, this was a really good book to read!  Also, the creepy artwork by David Catrow really made this story pretty creepy to read through!












I absolutely loved this book!  It's one of the funniest children's books I have ever read and I really loved the artwork by Henrik Drescher in this book!  Although, the artwork can be pretty creepy at times.









9. THE STINKY CHEESE MAN AND OTHER FAIRLY STUPID TALES BY JON SCIESZKA; ARTWORK BY LANE SMITH




I absolutely love this book!  It's such hilarious book to read, especially if you love reading parodies of your favorite fairy tales!  Even though I love the artwork here, there are some genuinely creepy imagery in this book.






10. BABETTE COLE'S ILLUSTRATIONS


There are various books written by Babette Cole that have creepy imagery and since I couldn't pick a specific book, I decided to post up various images from Babette Cole's books that are creepy!








So, that's my top 10 children's books with creepy illustrations.  I never would have thought that there would be so many children's books with creepy imagery and I can't wait to check out more children's books with creepy imagery!

Annnnnnddddd....as always everybody:



HAPPY READING, BOOK FANS !!!!








💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕



💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕



2 comments:

  1. Edward Gorey illustrated tons of books. Another book he did the drawings for is The House with a Clock in its Walls. Very creepy kids book.

    ReplyDelete