Tuesday, February 23, 2016

[BOOK REVIEW] The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle




Title:  The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Author:  Eric Carle


Genre:  Food / Insects / Children's Book / Transformation

Year Published: 1969

Year Read:  2010

Publisher:
Philomel Books

Source:  Library

Content Rating:  Ages 3+ (Themes of Overeating) 

Buy on:  Amazon  //  Book Depository 

 

I remembered always reading “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” when I was small and I have always loved the sweet nature of this book.  I still love this book to this very day!  “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” is a popular children’s book by Eric Carle and it is about how a very hungry caterpillar starts eating everything in its path.  “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” is truly a cute and extraordinary book about food that children will love for many years!


Eric Carle has certainly done a great job at both illustrating and writing this book.  What I really enjoyed about this book was Eric Carle’s illustrations as they are extremely colorful and cute.  I love the way that Eric Carle illustrated the caterpillar having a green long body and a red head and Eric Carle also did a great job at putting a surprised expression on the caterpillar’s face when it first got out of its egg.  I also love the illustrations of the caterpillar eating any food item that it comes across such as an apple and a piece of chocolate cake and you can see the cut out holes in the middle of the images of the food items indicating that the caterpillar ate through each food item.  I definitely enjoyed Eric Carle’s story of the caterpillar as it details the caterpillar’s extreme hunger whenever it ate through so many food items.  Eric Carle makes the story extremely cute and hilarious as the caterpillar literally eats twice its weight and I found myself laughing at the different types of food that the caterpillar ate.  Many children will be awed at how much food the caterpillar, even I was surprised at how much food the caterpillar ate and I was not so surprised when the caterpillar had a stomachache, which will teach children about the importance of not overeating so much.


“The Very Hungry Caterpillar” is definitely one of those children’s books that both children and adults will enjoy for its cute humor and colorful illustrations.  I would recommend this book to children ages three and up since there is nothing inappropriate in this book unless you count the caterpillar’s overeating escapade.     



No comments:

Post a Comment