Saturday, December 7, 2013

[BOOK REVIEW] The Missing Piece by Shel Silverstein


Title:  The Missing Piece

Author:  Shel Silverstein

Genre: Life / Humor / Adventure

Year Published: 1976
 
Year Read:  2013

Publisher: HarperCollins

Source:  Library

Content Rating:  Ages 3+  (Nothing Objectionable)

Buy on:  Amazon  //  Book Depository 


Even to this very day, I am still reading Shel Silverstein’s works and I am finding them much more interesting than ever before!  Now, I have recently picked up another book by Shel Silverstein called “The Missing Piece” and man, was this one enjoyable read!

Basically, this book is about a circle who is missing a piece of itself and how it tries to find its missing piece through snowy weather and through mountains.  While on the way, the circle meets up with several triangular shaped pieces that the circle tries on itself, but none of the triangular pieces would fit the circle.

Shel Silverstein has done it again in providing us a book that tries to give out a lesson in life, just like his well-known and controversial book, “The Giving Tree.”  I loved the fact that this story tackles the issue about people going on personal journeys to find their true purpose in life and in this case, the circle was trying to find its missing piece to make itself complete.  That is a truly insightful way to state the theme of people trying to find their goals in life and I am sure that children will easily understand the message of this book, even if it is told in a completely simplified way.  I also loved the little song that the circle sings as it goes on its journey to find its missing piece which goes something like this:

“Oh I’m lookin’ for my missin’ piece
I’m lookin’ for my missin’ piece
Hi-dee-ho, here I go,
Lookin’ for my missin’ piece.”

Shel Silverstein’s illustrations are cute and simple and I enjoyed seeing the images of the circle crossing across various landscapes to get to his destination such as rolling up a mountain, going through a swamp and trudging through a snow storm.

Overall, “The Missing Piece” is a truly memorable and inspiring tale about understanding your goals in life and pursuing them whenever you desire to and children will easily enjoy this tale for many years! I would recommend this book to children ages three and up since there is nothing inappropriate in this book.




No comments:

Post a Comment