Wednesday, January 23, 2013

[BOOK REVIEW] Rotten Richie and the Ultimate Dare by Patricia Polacco


Title:  Rotten Richie and the Ultimate Dare

Author: Patricia Polacco

Genre: Sibling Rivalry / Family / Humor / School / Sports


Year Published: 2006

Year Read:  2013

Publisher:  Philomel

Source:  Library

Content Rating:  Ages 5+ (Some Rude Behavior)

Buy on:  Amazon  //  Book Depository




I have been reading Patricia Polacco’s works for many years now and after reading one of her works “My Rotten Redheaded Older Brother,” I just had to read more about Patricia Polacco’s brother Richie!  So, I just recently picked up “Rotten Richie and the Ultimate Dare” and I have to say that I was really impressed with this book!

Trisha knows how hard it is to deal with her annoying older brother Richie, especially when he starts making fun of Trisha’s ballet class!  So to teach him a lesson, Trisha dares Richie to perform in the ballet recital with her.  But Richie will only do it on one condition: Trisha has to play the big hockey game with him!

Wow! I was totally amazed by this book!  Patricia Polacco, as always, has done a brilliant job at telling the readers her life story as a child, with her “Richie” books being the funniest among her collection!  I loved the way that Patricia Polacco showed the sibling rivalry between her and her older brother Richie as it was interesting to see and it slightly reminded me of how I get along with my siblings!  I also loved the plot of this story about Trisha wanting to show Richie that ballet is not as easy as it look with Richie doing the same about letting Trisha play hockey with him.  I like how the two siblings learn to have a better understanding of each other as they both try out the different activities that the other sibling usually plays at and it was interesting seeing how their experiences with doing different activities made them grow as characters.  Patricia Polacco’s illustrations are as usual gorgeous to look at as the characters look extremely realistic and I loved the outfits that Richie and Trisha are both wearing as Trisha wears a lovely pink ballet costume and Richie wears a large red hockey suit with “Beavers 13” printed on it.

Overall, “Rotten Richie and the Ultimate Dare” is a brilliant follow up to “My Rotten Redheaded Older Brother” and anyone who is a huge fan of books about sibling rivalry will definitely enjoy this book!  I would recommend this book to children ages five and up since the name calling that Trisha and Richie engage in such as Richie calling Trisha “twerp” might be a bit inappropriate for younger children.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment